Ratio Help
TechMyst
2007-07-26 17:01:40 UTC
I work for a plastics company which uses concentrates that are added to raw
resins. Imagine orange juice concentrate that you add to "raw" water.

Ok, Lets say that a concentrate is 'let down' at 4%. That means that if you
weigh out 100 grams of raw resin you will add 4 grams of concentrate; giving
you 104 grams total material...

I would display this as:

25 : 1 (twenty-five to one)

but most people put

25 / 1

is there a difference here, does it matter?

I thought 25 : 1 meant there were 26 total parts; with one part being
concentrate and 25 parts being raw resin.

vs

25/1 being 25 total parts with one of them being concentrate and 24 being
raw resin...which would mean that you would have 100 grams total material
with 4 grams of it being concentrate

just curious...

ce
Stuart M Newberger
2007-07-28 09:02:33 UTC
Post by TechMyst
[...]
This is not a mathematics question .You want to know what the chemists mean
when they write 25/1.That is what is the 25 and 1 referring to as you are
asking us.My guess is it means the same as your 25:1 since this is more
useful in the preparation of the product .Regards smn