Triangle Puzzle
felix_unger
2013-05-05 10:32:54 UTC
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..

rgds,

Pete
-------
"If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question!"
ALP = Arrogance, Lies & Pretence
2013-05-05 10:54:14 UTC
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
I give up.
--
Julia Gillard...
"I don't want the mining industry to hire a single foreign worker if

"Wayne Swan was explicitly asked to rule out a further increase in the
debt limit above the current limit of $300 billion. He steadfastly refused".
http://liberal.org.au/latest-news/2013/03/13/swan-refuses-rule-out-increase-debt-limit-above-300-billion

Swan...
"The course of action I'm talking about today really comes very much, I
guess, to the core of my values and the values of the Labor Party"

Paul Howes...
"Labor has an obligation to stop extremists who threaten our democracy"

How much new law is there every year?

Tony Abbott...
"You do not save the environment by killing the economy"

"It's not about popularity, it's about gaining respect, and she hasn't
got it yet"
(Australian of the Year, 2013)
HD
2013-05-05 13:15:29 UTC
Post by ALP = Arrogance, Lies & Pretence
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
I give up.
The top lines are slightly concave in different directions.
Some of that has been hidden by thicker border lines.
felix_unger
2013-05-05 13:19:09 UTC
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
I give up.
The top lines are slightly concave in different directions.
Some of that has been hidden by thicker border lines.
I think u need a new monitor
--
rgds,

Pete
-------
"If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question!"
HD
I printed it out and cut it up.
Sylvia Else
2013-05-05 14:19:11 UTC
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
The picture purports to contain two similar triangles, that is,
triangles that have the same angles. But if they have the same angles,
they should have sides in the same ratios. The ratio in one case is 2/5,
and in the other is 3/8. So the triangles are not similar, and have
slightly differing angles.

The result is that the diagonal line in the two pictures is not quite
straight. In the top case, it is slightly bent towards the bottom left
corner, and in the bottom case it is slight bent away from that corner.
So the areas are not the same, as is shown by the appearance of the
extra square.

Sylvia.
Wolfgang Wildeblood
2013-05-05 16:08:29 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
The picture purports to contain two similar triangles, that is,
triangles that have the same angles. But if they have the same angles,
they should have sides in the same ratios. The ratio in one case is 2/5,
and in the other is 3/8. So the triangles are not similar, and have
slightly differing angles.
The result is that the diagonal line in the two pictures is not quite
straight. In the top case, it is slightly bent towards the bottom left
corner, and in the bottom case it is slight bent away from that corner.
So the areas are not the same, as is shown by the appearance of the
extra square.
Sylvia.
I imagine Sylvia accosting strange children in the street and
carefully explaining to them that there is no Santa Claus.
ALP = Arrogance, Lies & Pretence
2013-05-05 19:59:49 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Wildeblood
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
The picture purports to contain two similar triangles, that is,
triangles that have the same angles. But if they have the same angles,
they should have sides in the same ratios. The ratio in one case is 2/5,
and in the other is 3/8. So the triangles are not similar, and have
slightly differing angles.
The result is that the diagonal line in the two pictures is not quite
straight. In the top case, it is slightly bent towards the bottom left
corner, and in the bottom case it is slight bent away from that corner.
So the areas are not the same, as is shown by the appearance of the
extra square.
Sylvia.
I imagine Sylvia accosting strange children in the street and
carefully explaining to them that there is no Santa Claus.
I checked the diagonal with a ruler and it appeared to be straight. The
only explanation is that one composite triangle must be slightly larger
(3%) - that is the only possible explanation - otherwise its existence
violates the law of similar triangles.

Maybe Wayne Swan can produce such a triangle in a couple of weeks and
explain how nearly $300b got spent yet the NBN is not even 50% of where
it should be, asylum queue jumper boats look like Keating's J-Curve (and
climate change doesn't) and unemployment has *doubled* under Gillard
(i.e. in *only* 2.5 years).
--

http://youtu.be/lePrBUHihKI

(Australian of the Year, 2013)
Sylvia Else
2013-05-06 00:54:45 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by felix_unger
[...]
It cannot be straight, for the reasons given, but the diference in the
angles (on the right of the triangles), is only 1.25 degrees, so is
difficult to see with a ruler, particularly given the thickness of the
lines.

Sylvia.
ALP = Arrogance, Lies & Pretence
2013-05-06 02:06:18 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by felix_unger
[...]
It cannot be straight, ...
Phew, that's a relief!

Or the law of similarity would be violated - and mathematical laws
(unlike human ones) are not to be broken.

(Australian of the Year, 2013)
Sylvia Else
2013-05-06 00:48:22 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
The picture purports to contain two similar triangles, that is,
triangles that have the same angles. But if they have the same angles,
they should have sides in the same ratios. The ratio in one case is 2/5,
and in the other is 3/8. So the triangles are not similar, and have
slightly differing angles.
The result is that the diagonal line in the two pictures is not quite
straight. In the top case, it is slightly bent towards the bottom left
corner, and in the bottom case it is slight bent away from that corner.
So the areas are not the same, as is shown by the appearance of the
extra square.
Sylvia.
I imagine Sylvia accosting strange children in the street and
carefully explaining to them that there is no Santa Claus.
The strange children will already know that there's no Santa Claus. It's
the normal children who need to be accosted and informed.

Sylvia.
Dechucka
2013-05-05 21:07:28 UTC
Post by felix_unger
Anyone here smart enough to solve this?..
http://ausnet.info/pics/triangle-puzzle.gif
yes