Seven pieces
Peter Hendriks
2007-01-11 06:01:13 UTC
Greetings from stormy Ruurlo!

My new Puzzle of the Week is a cut and paste puzzle again, combined with
some rather simple arithmetic. I hope you have as much fun with solving the
puzzle (to be found at www.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm - click on the
Union Jack to get at the English version) as I had with making it.

Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.

Peter
The Qurqirish Dragon
2007-01-11 17:10:48 UTC
Post by Peter Hendriks
Greetings from stormy Ruurlo!
My new Puzzle of the Week is a cut and paste puzzle again, combined with
some rather simple arithmetic. I hope you have as much fun with solving the
puzzle (to be found at www.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm - click on the
Union Jack to get at the English version) as I had with making it.
Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.
Peter
I'm not posting a solution here, but the problem appears to be
under-defined. Are we looking for the smallest square that works? (I
assume so, and have found it) Do the pieces need to be different
shapes? (My solution did NOT assume this, but succeeds in doing so)
I found a solution that only needs 6 pieces, but I can, of course, cut
any of these into 2 arbitrary pieces to make 7.
jasen
2007-01-12 21:56:46 UTC
Post by The Qurqirish Dragon
Post by Peter Hendriks
Greetings from stormy Ruurlo!
My new Puzzle of the Week is a cut and paste puzzle again, combined with
some rather simple arithmetic. I hope you have as much fun with solving the
puzzle (to be found at www.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm - click on the
Union Jack to get at the English version) as I had with making it.
Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.
Peter
I'm not posting a solution here, but the problem appears to be
under-defined. Are we looking for the smallest square that works? (I
assume so, and have found it) Do the pieces need to be different
shapes? (My solution did NOT assume this, but succeeds in doing so)
I found a solution that only needs 6 pieces, but I can, of course, cut
any of these into 2 arbitrary pieces to make 7.
do you have 6 integer-area pieces that make three squares

with non-integer sides?
----------------------

(the updated version of the puzzle)

if integer sides are allowed 5 pieces suffice.

spoiler space

spoiler space

81:64:16:1 can be done in 5 rectangular pieces.

1: 7x8
2: 2x4
3: 2x4
4: 8X1
[...]