Largest smallest square
Peter Hendriks
2007-01-25 12:11:37 UTC
Good morning from cold Ruurlo.

This time my new puzzle is a minimax problem. Try to fit three triangles in
a smallest possible square. But choose the triangles in such a way that the
square is as large as possible. Sounds sort of contradictory, uh?
To be honest, I have no idea if this puzzle is simple or difficult. But, in
either case, hopefully it will give you some pleasure.

Good luck!
Peter

http://home.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm
Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.
Laurence Reeves
2007-01-25 12:44:43 UTC
Post by Peter Hendriks
Good morning from cold Ruurlo.
This time my new puzzle is a minimax problem. Try to fit three triangles in
a smallest possible square. But choose the triangles in such a way that the
square is as large as possible. Sounds sort of contradictory, uh?
To be honest, I have no idea if this puzzle is simple or difficult. But, in
either case, hopefully it will give you some pleasure.
Good luck!
Peter
http://home.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm
Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.
Triangle A) 3,4,5
Triangle B) 5,12,13
Triangle C) 0,Inf,Inf

I win!

:->
Patrick Hamlyn
2007-01-26 01:50:18 UTC
Post by Laurence Reeves
Post by Peter Hendriks
Good morning from cold Ruurlo.
This time my new puzzle is a minimax problem. Try to fit three triangles in
a smallest possible square. But choose the triangles in such a way that the
square is as large as possible. Sounds sort of contradictory, uh?
To be honest, I have no idea if this puzzle is simple or difficult. But, in
either case, hopefully it will give you some pleasure.
Good luck!
Peter
http://home.planet.nl/~p.j.hendriks/ppvdw.htm
Please answer by email and not in this newsgroup.
Triangle A) 3,4,5
Triangle B) 5,12,13
Triangle C) 0,Inf,Inf
I win!
:->
I'm not sure that last one qualifies as a triangle, looks like a line to me. I
was going to go with one side being 1, the other sides being Graham's number.

Anyways, if Peter is going to post the link, then well and good, we can all
follow it. But on the other hand if he posts a description of the puzzle, he may
as well post it correctly:

The title sounds as a contradiction, but I will try to explain. Here you see
three triangles inside a square. The triangles do not overlap. Although the
triangles are stuck in the square, This square is not the smallest square
possible in which the three triangles fit. After some rearranging you will
easily find a smaller square.

I give you nine line segments with lengths 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23 and 29 cm
respectively. You will immediately recognize the first nine odd primes.

The puzzle is to combine the nine segments into three triangles, such that the
smallest possible square, in which these triangles fit, is as large as possible.

What size is this largest smallest square?
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
Moderator: polyforms group (polyforms-***@egroups.com)
Peter Hendriks
2007-01-26 06:30:53 UTC
The short (incomplete) description of my puzzle was only ment to raise your
interest or appetite if you will. The full description of the puzzle can be
found following the link in the message. I have a new puzzle every week,
running a sort of international competition, with every now and then a small
prize. The overall winner at the end of the year will be named Puzzle
Champion of Ruurlo....................

Have fun.
Laurence Reeves
2007-01-26 13:01:56 UTC
Post by Peter Hendriks
The short (incomplete) description of my puzzle was only ment to raise your
interest or appetite if you will. The full description of the puzzle can be
found following the link in the message. I have a new puzzle every week,
running a sort of international competition, with every now and then a small
prize. The overall winner at the end of the year will be named Puzzle
Champion of Ruurlo....................
Have fun.
Maybe I choose the wrong smiley ( :-> ) earlier on. My reactions to your
post were:

1) Tongue-in-cheek silly comment (wrists slapped, deservedly).
2) Followed link and solved the wrong puzzle.
3) Thought a bit more and hopefully solved the right puzzle.

Your puzzles are always novel and consistently of a high standard.

Thanks!

(Mind you... I keep missing TV programs whilst engrossed in solving them!).