Discrete Maths
DonH
2013-01-02 18:01:03 UTC
I purchased a book entitled "Discrete Mathematics", as it looked
interesting.
However, as a layman, I don't know what the title actually means, and the
book does not provide a definition - it assumes everyone knows, as it is a
study guide for passing exams.
Can anyone here please enlighten?
Barb Knox
2013-01-03 03:32:01 UTC
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_mathematics>
--
---------------------------
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | Quidquid latine dictum sit,
| B B a a r b b | altum videtur.
| BBB aa a r bbb |
-----------------------------
DonH
2013-01-03 17:59:34 UTC
Post by Barb Knox
Post by DonH
I purchased a book entitled "Discrete Mathematics", as it looked
interesting.
However, as a layman, I don't know what the title actually means, and the
book does not provide a definition - it assumes everyone knows, as it is a
study guide for passing exams.
Can anyone here please enlighten?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_mathematics>
--
---------------------------
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | Quidquid latine dictum sit,
| B B a a r b b | altum videtur.
| BBB aa a r bbb |
# Ah, yes. Thanks.
However, as DM is defined as much by what it excludes as by what it
includes, it seems to be one of those inventions of dubious merit (like a
Set superseding a Class), which we could all do without. Does a Venn
diagram improve on Euler's circles, or merely complicate?
What is Maths? Essentially it deals with Quantities, as compared with
Qualities.
If Logic is "reduced" to mathematical formulae, have we Progressed?
Or has Logic for the Layman simply been abolished?