Fibonacci problem....
Dennis
2011-06-22 11:53:00 UTC
Hi, I've got a problem understanding a question I've been given about
Fibonacci series.

The question is shown below.
From Fibonacci series I think F1=1, F3=2, F5=5, F7=13, F9=34 etc

I dont understand what is meant by "investigate"?

Thanks

The question is:

Invstigate: F1 + F3 + F5 + ..... + F2n-1

(Where the 1,3,5 and 2n-1 are in sub script)

Therefore the formula is:

F1 + F3 + F5 + ..... + F2n-1 = __________ for n=______
Ken Pledger
2011-06-22 21:12:57 UTC
Post by Dennis
Hi, I've got a problem understanding a question I've been given about
Fibonacci series.
Investigate: F1 + F3 + F5 + ..... + F2n-1
(Where the 1,3,5 and 2n-1 are in sub script)
It looks as if you've been asked to do some exploring - a miniature
piece of research. Try writing down a dozen or so terms of the
Fibonacci sequence, then calculating the first few sums of the
odd-position terms, then looking for a pattern in all thase numbers.
(That's a pretty broad hint.) If you can conjecture a formula for the
sums, then see if you can prove it.

Good luck!

Ken Pledger.
Dennis
2011-06-23 11:31:58 UTC
Post by Ken Pledger
Post by Dennis
Hi, I've got a problem understanding a question I've been given about
Fibonacci series.
Investigate: F1 + F3 + F5 + ..... + F2n-1
(Where the 1,3,5 and 2n-1 are in sub script)
It looks as if you've been asked to do some exploring - a miniature
piece of research. Try writing down a dozen or so terms of the
Fibonacci sequence, then calculating the first few sums of the
odd-position terms, then looking for a pattern in all thase numbers.
(That's a pretty broad hint.) If you can conjecture a formula for the
sums, then see if you can prove it.
Good luck!
Ken Pledger.
Thanks Ken. I will give that a go and see how I go.